Wednesday 21 August 2013

Snap Snap Snap.



'Somewhere' starring Stephen Dorff and Ella Fanning directed by Sofia Coppola
Stephen Dorff and Benicio Del Toro in 'Somewhere'.
I love movies so hard, like harder than nails man. If you were to ask me to choose between fashion and movies I'd pull a 5mm on your ass and then burst into tears. Don't EVER. Ask me that. Kay? I wanted to share with you a random shot and a terribly DIY gif. that I took of one of my favourite Sofia Coppola movies; Somewhere. This movie was so good, that I watched it and then restarted it and watched it all the way through again. I love the elevator scene because even in it's abnormality, it's very realistic to me as I work in the industry. Your just ambling along and you get into the lift and bam! It's Benicio Del Toro on his way to wherever getting up to what ever (usually in his case mischief) all but for a couple of seconds you are both contained in an elevator and well, who knows what could happen? (Nothing really but hey-ho) Stephen Dorff's character is a late 30 something who has reached his climax as a successful actor and is drifting through the 'velvet rope' life still in the notion that he is a 21 year old teen heart throb, he sleeps around and falls asleep at parties. His daughter, (played beautifully by Ella Fanning) suddenly shows up and he is forced to play the role of 'dad' a bit longer than expected. There are so many beautiful scenes and elements of reality that I find with all of her movies. Sofia makes existing in a privileged world sad and almost tragic. There is a tangible emptiness I sense from some of her characters like Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette and Scarlett Johansson in Lost In Translation, and insincerity and hollowness from the lesser characters around them, no one can be trusted and people generally put on a front no matter how picture perfect they are, they all come across as misguided. I am going to try and regularly feature movies on my blog as I want to explore films, the characters and do spotlight series on actors. If you have any suggestions, that would be most welcome.

No comments:

Follow Follow