Monday 17 December 2012

My Love For Julian.

From Left: Jeffrey Wright as Jean Michel Basquiat, David Bowie as Andy Warhol, Gary Oldman as Julian Schnabel and Dennis Hopper as Bruno Bischofberger
image via google
 
I discovered Julian Schnabel was a film maker a few years ago when I watched the amazingly potent 'The Diving Bell And the Butterfly'. I could not believe how beautiful the movie was it introduced me to his work, not only as a film maker but also as an artist. I have since watched some of his other work including 'Before Night Falls' and the courageous 'Basquiat' of ehich I could not help thinking about and feeling for Jeffrey Wright's (pictured) portrayal of the artist with the same name. It is interesting to watch a movie through a former artist's perspective, with Julian's work it's not essential to have a beginning middle and end or to have a protagonist/hero who resonates with the viewer. The main character is a flawed genius, possibly misunderstood and often romanticised. He always finds some quality that we can identify in the darkest depth of our souls and bring it to light.
x

No comments:

Follow Follow